This document contains the technical specifications of the WOT API v0.4 and it's aimed at developers implementing software that uses WOT services.
The WOT reputation system computes website reputations using ratings received from users and information from third-party sources. This section contains a brief introduction to some of the concepts you will need in order to develop applications that use reputation data.
1.2 How to start in 3 simple steps
- Sign up and contact us via WOT Help Center to get an API key.
Then, we will send you a welcome email that contains your API key and additional information on how to get started with our APIs. Within the next couple of hours, it will be activated and ready to use.
- Start using API for free.
Find the complete description of API calls with a list of parameters and examples of responses in this documentation.
Please, use the API key in each API call.
- If you need more features than the free account provides, look at the options of our monthly subscriptions. Choose your subscription depending on the number of calls per sec, API availability, service provided, and other features.
1.3 What do I get?
Crowd Source Reputation
Our dedicated community of millions of users rates thousands of websites every day. Enjoy the wisdom of our users to get reputation score for more than 56M websites.
WOT’s rating system computes threat categories for websites based on votes from users and third parties. Category data helps to understand the reason behind the poor reputation and distinguish between different type of threats.
Third - Party Blacklists
WOT is connected to several third parties that provide additional information on top of WOT’s community, to give an additional layer of trust.
Note: Any previous public APIs that did not require registration are deprecated and may have stricter rate limits applied to them. If your requests to these APIs return HTTP status code 429, you should migrate to public_link_json2.
Contact us for more information.
1.5 WOT Free API Terms of Service
- The free API package is free for individuals and non-commercial use.
- You must not make more than 500 API requests per month.
- You must limit your request rate to 10 requests per second at most.
- If you are unable to comply with these restrictions, please contact us regarding partnerships or commercial offerings.
Furthermore, if you use the API in your application, we recommend the following:
- You should credit WOT in your application.
- You should not request the same information more than once during any X minute period but should use a local cache for repeat requests instead.